RE: Re: Pregnant Vingans?

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruceferrie_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 23:15:03 -0000

On Wednesday, March 24, 2004 3:43 PM, bethexton_at_... wrote:

> However, it does raise the question: Do Vingans have any way of
> preventing conception? Assuming that they don't want to become
> pregnant, do they have to avoid the likely causes thereof? Or is
> there some element of choice there?

We have mentioned it recently, but they put henna on their heads, of course:

http://www.jane-williams.me.uk/glorantha/vinga/cult_02.cfm

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/bferrie/myths/redhair.htm

And we've just recently established that they paint the soles of their feet red if they want to "enhance" their fertility, and that showing someone the soles of your feet is an erotic gesture as far as Heortlings are concerned.

As Jane asks, what does this tell us about shoes? I suppose wearing shoes is a classic sign of modesty and, for adults, going barefoot could be symbolic of sexual availability. I'm sure some folklore and customs would emerge about shoes and weddings. Tying shoes behind a chariot? Ritually exchanging shoes as gifts during a marriage ceremony? Tying shoes behind a chariot which carries off the newlyweds? Not wearing shoes at all during your honeymoon?

Hmm. Can we somehow tie all this in to the Sandals of Darkness?

As an aside, I seem to recall that "feet" was used in the bible as a euphemism for genitals. So now I'm picturing a Heortling couple who have trouble conceiving using the henna to paint each other's "feet" and re-enact the (as yet unrecorded by scholars) myth of Orlanth's proud red spear...

Regards,

Bruce