Re: How wide and deep?

From: Dr Moose <loosmoos_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 13:21:11 -0000

> Up until now, I just assumed that in Kerofinnela, what with the
> abundant rain fall and plentiful vertical, that rivers were all
like
> that. The River, Creek, and Stream being things big enough that
the
> far bank could not be made out in detail, their main tributaries
> being more the size of the Seine or the Rhine.

As a brit I've often wrestled with issues of relative geographical size of features, not just in Glorantha, but in many fantasy environments. Not being quite as well travelled as some folks I find US illustrations of size largely unhelpful. No doubt my UK/European ones are likewise rather limited.

I'd have though that the only rivers to rival the Rhine, Meuse, Danube, Mississippi (spelling?) etc would be the Noshain, Janube, Oslir etc. By you time you reach the mouth of the Creek Stream River, via the New River, near Notchet it might be that scale, but not before, I'd have thought.

> Then it occured to me, for some reason, yesterday that Glorantha
was
> developed by someone living in California, and most of the source
> material comes from places like England or Ancient Greece. Rivers
in
> these places are largely (Thames aside) less burly.

Very diplomatic. As a brit I'd tend to say that most of our landscape features were positively puny!

Dr Moose