Re: Herowars Polls

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 00:16:56 +0000

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001 17:53:41 EST, Trotskey wrote:

>The two polls at the list website have now closed, so I thought I'd comment
>on the final results.
> Note that the percentages are of total votes cast, not of the number of
>people voting. I suspect the 63 votes for the Lunar book is unanimous, so my
>comments will be based on that assumption.
> The main impression I get is that only about half of you have any
>intention of bringing your campaign out of the Dragon Pass area, where
>heortlings, Lunars and trolls rub shoulders with the occasional dwarf or elf.
>Looks like one of Issaries' goals should be convincing people that there's
>good gaming to be had beyond DP...

While I agree with your conclusion, indeed I've felt for some years that a committed opening of a second front in Fronela or Wenalia would be No Bad Thing, I think that this may be entirely down to what's in the HeroWars book. Those of us running games are a damn sight more likely to need Dragon Pass support than anything else, because all we've really got to work with right now is Dragon Pass.

Alas, at one book a quarter, it's going to be a long time before that second front's going to be opened.

> Most of you still haven't had enough copies of the Kyger Litor cult,
>which suggests to me that people are mostly interested in seeing directly
>gameable info on cultures they already know a fair bit about - or aldryami
>and mostali wouldn't be quite so far behind the uz.

Seems reasonable. Again it's wanting expansion of the areas we know enough about to involve in the games we're able to run right now.

>I'm also guessing that a
>fair few of the 'Other' voters are Prax-fans wanting more on their favourite
>setting, since it seems a pretty high vote just for Pamaltela!

I suppose someone might be crying out for Rinliddi.

> None the less, the fact that at least half of you want one or more player
>books on areas with relatively little coverage so far is encouraging - at
>least to those of us who are writing this stuff!

One thing that might be a factor is that at the current release rate (Storm Tribe pushed back to March, 'November's' Thunder Rebels still not out) I focused on the things I want SOON. Sure I want Sorcerer Knights (quite a lot more than Ocean Bestiary, sorry), but I want a couple of Lunar books clutched in my hot little hands first.

Is Carl Hiaassen shaking his head and saying "If I'd have written this, no-one would have beleived it?"