Re: Re: Distances in Glorantha

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 02:15:56 GMT

In message <c4fdsq+da0m_at_...> "Rob" writes:

>> > The pony express, mongol couriers, even British mailcoaches
>> > managed 200 miles a day. With magic and better roads, 350 is
>> > easily believable.
>
>YGWV but not in my game. Impossible on one horse, unless they had
>travel 350 miles in one day as a feat. Even so I gues that would
>put it into the pompous magic rule. anyway, why ride when you can
>hitch a ride in a moonboat and sip a fine lunar red, whilst nibbling
>on sauted newtiling tail!

Did someone open a moonboat factory in Glamour while I wasn't looking?

These things are supposed to be rare, expensive and supposedly used for important imperial business. While that may include delivering the invitations for Big Sister's cocktail party it won't include the vast bulk of army communications however urgent they are seen to be by the local commander.

In fact I expect the usual reaction from a lunar commander to the appearance of a moonboat will be panic - who is it? what have I done wrong? what's the disaster?

I agree that the long distances are based on trained riders, frequent remounts[1] and decent roads but the Lunars have every reason to have such a courier service. Of course these waystations are another target for the Sartarite rebels so they'll be positioned in some clan village with the direst of penalties for the clan if they don't protect them.

[1] Probably a remount every four hours, maybe more frequently.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/