Re: Distances in Glorantha

From: jorganos <joe_at_...>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 10:50:06 -0000

>>Impossible on one horse, unless they had
>>travel 350 miles in one day as a feat.

> Fair enough - but no one mentioned one horse.

Well, I did, when doing my calculations.

Graham, you still haven't defined your idea of a "comfortable ride" from Jillaro to Glamour, or whether there is a good road.

Looking at the Lunar map, the best road in the Empire is the Daughter's Road from Jillaro to Filichet. From Jillaro north, the Ibex Moon society suggests travel by riverboat to Good Shore, and then onwards via the road. Bulk cargo via the canal.

There are bound to be military and commercial roads in the Empire, but we know nothing about their quality. The Dara Happans have a long history of relying on the river for transportation, and so do the Darjiinians. The lands along the river are a vast system of irrigated rice paddies, which sort of implies dam-like elevated roads without saying anything about quality, either.

This sheds light to an interesting aspect of Dara Happan infantry warfare: how do the hoplites and cavalry cope with combat in irrigated land?

My personal rule of thumb for travel rates is if I can do it on a bicycle, it can be done horse-riding, given the chance of remounts or invigorating magics. Meaning that mountainous terrain without level roads is a real bitch...