How Common Are Moonboats?

From: Greg_at_...
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 15:27:53 -0800

Friends,

Just for the record in MY Glorantha,

> >They are apparently not as rare as all that. The moonboat article in
> >ILH-1 (page 12) describes them as "increasingly common", and says that
> >they range in size from "small coracles to large merchant cogs
> >lumbering throught the sky from sky-port to sky-port. Most are
> >privately owned, but the Imperial Moon Craft Association owns all the
> >largest ones."
>
> I wonder what "increasingly common" means in terms of numbers - as
> common as private planes are today? I also presume this refers to
> within the glowline rather than outside where they are at risk of
> being stranded.

Increasingly Common means that there are some outside of the imperial central house now.
They are rare. "Privately owned" means that the noble houses can afford to "own" them.
Basically, the words was such so that a narrator could allow a player group to have one, or have access to one, without bending things too much.

As far as taking them outside the Glowline, I think such would generally be prohibited. They are severly diminished by being subjected to the Lunar Cycles there, and who would risk such a valuable commodity (besides player characters, I mean)?

YGWV.