Re: Digest Number 1655

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:41:15 -0000

Joerg and I try to figure out elevations in Genertela:
> > My own map of west Sartar, uncanonical as it is, has Clearwine at
> > about 2000 feet above sea level and the Upland Marsh at about
1250
> > feet above sea level - not the 3000-4500 foot elevation that you
> > have it. For what it is worth, I think the Pharoah's Marsh is
maybe
> > some 500-750 feet above sea level.
>
> You do realize that in this case, the hill of Clearwine would be
1000 feet
> below the Shadow Plateau at its lowest, or in other words, that
from
> Shadow Plateau you can see whether Wilmskirk is burning or not.

Yep. Last night in our Seattle Farmers' house campaign, our fine bunch of young warriors were patrolling atop the Starfire Ridge (at roughly 3500' about sea level) and realized what they could make out on a clear day with good visibility.

> I'm willing to divide my heights by two, but that doesn't remove
any of my
> arguments about river travel in the south, and hardly any in the
north.

I agree. I don't think the Creek-Stream River are navigable by much else than durulz boats and presumably long, sturdy canoes. Dave Pearton, our expert whitewater kayaker, might have some thoughts.

> In Peloria we have a single height datum given in Griffin Mountain:
> roughly 900 metres (2800 feet) for the lands around the Elf Sea.
The land
> rises from there to Holay. Sure, it does drop again towards the
Oslir
> River, but 1800 feet?

My thought is that the lands there are like the Great Plains - Eastern Colorado towns on the apparently flat plains along the Platte River are at 4000 feet. Half the distances involved and we get a high steppe plateau of 1500-2000 feet.

Jeff