Re: Re: Distances? Travel Rates!

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 11:34:58 +1000

Andrew:

I've only just realised that overlay has a serious problem. North America
>is on a round world, and the map appears to be the familiar Mercator's
>projection which greatly exaggerates the size of Canada relative to the
>countries further south. This means an overlay of that onto a flat world
>continent is pretty much meaningless.

Help, help, I'm being repressed! As a denizen of the southern hemisphere, which occupies only 1/3 of the globe in the Mercator Euro-centric projection, I learned long ago that maps ain't maps.

http://www.heliheyn.de/Maps/L02P02_E.html

demonstrates it all rather, well, graphically.

Of course, most cartographic problems would disappear if the Earth were a polyhedron like the Loz:

  http://www.progonos.com/furuti/MapProj/Normal/ProjPoly/projPoly.html

which only leaves us matters of scale. :)

John