Re: Inaccurate miles?

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:03:29 GMT

In message <c5j6je+nlq8_at_...> "Jane Williams" writes:

>I just realised one reason why the Orlanthi at least have problems
>producing an accurate map, or at least, one showing consistent
>distances.
>
>I'm sure the Lunars, boring people that they are, have theodolites,
>measuring tape, diagrams, and so on. But the Orlanthi?
>
>"That's where my javelin landed, and I say it's a mile!" (stamps
>foot).

I don't think the Orlanthi even use the term mile. They might have a term "Vingian spear throw" which will be defined as how far the clan Vingian can throw her spear.

More useful measures will be:
"Furlong" used for agricultural land - the distance an ox team

     can plow without needing pause for a rest which will differ
     depending on the soil and probably other local factors.
"Hide" used to define an area of land - the distance encircled by
     an ox hide cut into thumb width pieces.
"Day's travel" used for travelling - obviously depends more on the
     terrain and straightness of the route than any direct measure
     of distance. May be qualified by the name of the person who did
     the journey.

An Orlanthi map will therefore be a sketch showing prominent features, a rough direction and how long it takes to travel between them. They may also do detailed maps of the land allocated to individual thanes measured in furlongs and hides but I think it more likely they rely on boundary stones.

So if we want maps we're going to have to follow these new fangled Lunar practices. Even though no one has any use for going from the top of one hill to the top of another just to look at the cairn the Lunars have put there.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/