Re: River Slopes (was: Hiking Rates)

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 16:36:17 -0000

> > My own map of west Sartar, uncanonical as it is, has Clearwine
at
> > about 2000 feet above sea level and the Upland Marsh at about
1250
> > feet above sea level - not the 3000-4500 foot elevation that you
> > have it. For what it is worth, I think the Pharoah's Marsh is
> maybe
> > some 500-750 feet above sea level.
> > Or in my case about 5 or 6 metres for every mile.
> So, 15-18 feet per mile average gradient. On a small river, say
> around 5000 - 8000 cfs (185 - 300 cumecs), this is not going to
> present a lot of problems for very small boats (read canoes,
kayaks
> or rafts) going downriver, but anything going upriver, forget it.

Thanks Dave! It seems to me that at some point, we either need a big cascade or even a waterfall to explain how the River got from the Upland Marsh to the Bay. My thought is that the Pharoah's New River is navigable - it goes around the Shadow Plateau to the north around around the west to Nochet.

Based on Wes' Esrolia maps (assuming the scale is right), we are now talking about 2 to 3 feet per mile average gradient from Nochet to Pharaoh's Marsh and around 5 feet per mile average gradient from Marsh to Marsh. Is that any easier?

Jeff