RE: Tatius - Tay-sh-us or Tat-ee-us??

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:18:30 GMT

In message <E1BGARw-0006MP-Bi_at_...> "Andrew Solovay" writes:

>But that's just the question--do we pronounce the Lunar pseudo-Latin names
>in the Germanic, "this is our best guess at authentic Latin pronunciation"
>style--i.e. "TAH-tee-us"?
>
>Or in the traditonal English, highly-elided style--i.e. "TAY-shus"? (a la
>"Statius" or "Pontius"--and honestly, when have you ever heard him called
>"PON-tee-us"? It's always "PON-shus")

Wherever that pronunciation comes from it's not English, I would suspect Church Latin. I'm not even aware of any dialects that pronounce "ti" as "sh". Personally I pronounce names as they are spelt which makes TAT-ee-us or TA-TI-us. I suspect pronunciations vary even more in Glorantha than in the real world because of the lack of modern communications. So everyone's right somewhere in Glorantha although a particular pronunciation may label you as posh, common or even foreign.

>Or in the middling, American, split-the-difference style--i.e. "TA-tee-us"?
>(rhymes with "cat ee-us")
>
>Personally, I think all three pronunciations are common, and are probably a
>subtle class-signifier. Mr. T almost certainly refers to himself as
>"TAH-tee-ose", an affected Hellenize pronunciation. Now, what language is
>the Greek to Dara Happan's Latin? ...

I thought the equivelents were Dara Happan Greek to Lunar Latin.

However the discussion of linguistics in Glorantha seem a bit deep for this list and RW linguistics are off topic altogether.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/