Pronouncing Lunar names

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:27:49 -0700

Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...> wrote:

> That said, I say "TAY-shus", unless I get thrown back
> to high school Latin, when I say TAH-tee-us, a little
> different from
>
>> the middling, American, split-the-difference
>> style--i.e. "TA-tee-us"? (rhymes with "cat ee-us")

...but at least that's not as bad as the affectedly authentic "TAH-tee-oos".

It could be fun to come up with a breakdown of how various Gloranthans would pronounce the name. I'd bet a Lankhor Mhy scribe would say "TAY-shus", the way grand old Englishmen of a certain era said "Pliny" and "Livy" and "Cymbeline" and the like. After all, they know how to pronounce Dara Happan and Pelorian names, they've been writing histories of the First Council for a thousand years!

Lunar suck-ups would make a great effort to say the name "authentically" ("TAH-tee-oos", with a long "u"). Mr. T himself might say "TA-tee-us", and Joe Sartarite would probably elide it further, perhaps "TAT-'s".