Re: Inaccurate miles?

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:24:26 GMT

In message <408DF26D.1070600_at_...> "Moah, platypus powaaa!" writes:
>donald_at_... wrote:
>
>> I don't think the Orlanthi even use the term mile. They might have a
>> term "Vingian spear throw" which will be defined as how far the clan
>> Vingian can throw her spear.
>
>If I'm not mistaken, the vingan myth of acceptance into the thunder
>brothers refer to a milestone being hit by the javelin. That would
>indicate existence of the mile in Orlanthi culture to me.

Well I don't think it fits the culture, the mile was introduced by the Romans and I can't see the Orlanthi having any use for such a measure of distance. Nor do I think they would have the ability to measure it. The Romans used a thousand double paces which is fine for an army which has troops trained to march but that's the Lunars not Heortlings. I'd take the reference to milestone to refer to a boundary stone on the edge of the tula which might be any distance away.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/