Orlanthi miles?

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:46:51 -0700

donald_at_... wrote:

> Well I don't think it fits the culture, the mile was introduced by
> the Romans and I can't see the Orlanthi having any use for such a
> measure of distance.

But mythically *and* historically, the Orlanthi were always a barbarian people in the shadow of a civilized empire. The founders of the Storm Tribe included any number of disaffected people from the Evil Empire (Ernalda, Chalana Arroy, Elmal) and people with strange knowledge and customs they picked up from more advanced people (Lhankor Mhy, Issaries). So given that, it wouldn't be all that surprising for them to have picked up concepts and terms from their more advanced neighbor, without even knowing they'd done it--concepts like money, say, or fixed units of distance.