Re: Women in the clan

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:06:33 -0000

Having said all of that, if you look at traditional rural china, girls were not valued as much as boys because they would marry away. They weren't educated, and often weren't even fed as well. So no doubt some clans, or bloodlines, or hearths, don't treat their daughters as well. But that would be tempting the wrath of Ernalda, which really would be a foolish thing to do.....but it could make for a great story line!

Note also that I think most women marry fairly young, probably in their late teens. I think that after their second initiation the marriage hunting really begins, it probably takes a year or two on average to settle on a likely groom, then another year or so to court and negotiate.

For what it is worth, I really recommend the "Little House on the Prairie" series for one look at the life of girls in an agricultural setting. With regard to marraige, especially "The Long Winter" and "These Happy Golden Years" (as an aside, read her book "Farmer Boy" for a good idea of the education of a young Barntari). I know most people are mostly aware of the deadly dull TV series based on the books, but my wife recently read these books to our son, and I was quite impressed by them, and picked up a lot that seemed relevant to Orlanthi life.

Alsomt all of what I wrote above applies to the 'usual' case. I'm thinking that Halorica is far from typical. To have become trade thane, even though single and therefore liable to move away, suggests a lot of ability and drive. I would guess that she is the sort that will make her own rules to suit herself.

However, she is an NPC. I could see a great story arc where she meets another impressive NPC, is smitten, makes life very interesting while they court each other, then finally marry. From a campaign perspective this could be a hood to help move the group onto wherever the narrator feels they need to go....her groom could be in the rebellion, frex. Or if you want to play up the internal conflicts of the Heortlings under lunar occupation, he could be a lunar convert. Or he could come from another country altogether, giving the heros a reason to travel there. Or....

Whatever happens, having the players care about an NPC has to be a good thing, as is them trying to drive plots, so it sounds like your game is going well indeed!

--Bryan