Re: Greetings and Felicitations

From: Darran <darransims_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 23:36:35 +0100

Greetings and Salutations
2004-05-04-2335.

Hi Light Castle

light_castle_at_sympatico.ca wrote:
> On 4 May 2004 at 7:37, Jane Williams wrote:
> > All we want is a 10-volume introductory book (sigh)....
>
> I know. It was just my birthday, I'm still expecting presents. :-)
>
> > Dragon Pass *is* the best detailed by far, and hence the easiest, with all
> > the new scenarios set there.
>
> I'm not too worried about coming up with scenarios if I have some stuff to work with. I
> don't need immense detail, hell a pamphlet-size book would almost do for any given
> thing. A map, a basic history of the region, something about its gods and its relations to
> its neighbours. But teasing out such things is tricky.

It does sound like you need Imperial Lunar Handbook, Volume 1: The Lunar Empire' as that has two-page spreads on many of the Lunar Homelands. See: http://www.glorantha.com/products/1302.html

I have found it useful although it doesn't go into enough detail for my liking. I'll have to wait for 'Imperial Lunar Handbook, Volume 2' ;-(

I have always said that there is a need for a starter pack with full background detail and scenarios that help new players. Something that will give basic starting information out as the players begin with new characters but also reveals more and new information *in play*. Lots of maps and some nice gritty detail but enough freedom in the material to allow the narrators do come up with more and run on several different tangents. HeroQuest hasn't got this yet, neither Issaries, Unspoken Word or Tradetalk have done a starter pack for newbies. 'Barbarian Adventures' doesn't quite come close.

> > The Lunars have a book to themselves, with more coming. I wouldn't want to
> > play from it myself, it seems to just divide them into a collection of
> > sub-cultures that still aren't well enough defined, but that may well just
> > be me. Never did like the Lunars :)
>
> I'm a fan. But then I always rooted for the Romans, too. I think the Lunars rock, but more
> for their contradictions than anything else. Lots of meat to play off of.

I have tried to come up with Lunar stuff but find that I am stuck with the Orlanthi mind set. The English obsession with the under-dog I am afraid. The Ancient Britons against the Romans or the Anglo-Saxons against the Normans.

> > Mind you, having said all this, I'm assuming an infinite supply of money to
> > buy source books, and this is the real world. How much cash and shelf space
> > do you want to devote to Glorantha?
>
> I'm pretty decent on dedicating shelf space, but I sure as hell don't have the money to go
> nuts on things. Turns out a friend of mine got some gift copies of some HeroWars stuff
> from a convention and doesn't play it so she'll happily give them over. I don't know what
> she has yet, though, so I might just have to wait for that and rethink.

Do you know what she won?
Did she win it from the RHQN boys?

Cheers,
DARRAN SIMS

darransims_at_...
darren.sims_at_...

Go to Continuum! NOW!!!
http://www.continuum.uk.net
For the Yahoo Group goto:
continuum2004-subscribe_at_yahoogroups.com