RE: Greetings and Felicitations

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 21:38:47 GMT

>I'm not too worried about coming up with scenarios if I have some stuff
>to work with. I don't need immense detail, hell a pamphlet-size book would
>almost do for any given thing. A map, a basic history of the region,
>something about its gods and its relations to its neighbours. But teasing
>out such things is tricky.

I'd suggest you go a little smaller in scale to start with, particularly if your players are also new to HQ. That's why Sarter and the Heortlings are a good place to begin, you can name a few clans, get your players to create a character in the one you specify and get them to interact with NPCs of their own and other local clans. All the clans are very similar in structure, history and practices although a few differences make things interesting. The only map you'll need you can sketch yourself - that showing the spacial relationship of the clans you're concerned with. Look at the example scenarios in HQ to see how it works. Another advantage of the area for players coming from a D&D background is that "Violence is always an option" which is less true in many other cultures. Another alternative is Seshnela if you want a knights and wizards background. Again, name your local knight and a few villages and get the players involved in interacting with NPCs, chasing outlaws etc.

The Lunar empire is a great place to adventure but I have to say I think it's a bit complex for newcomers to Glorantha. Much of it is relatively civilised with things like taxes and laws which have to be obeyed unless you've got good reason or even better connections.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/