Re: Greetings and Felicitations

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 18:55:59 -0700

LC

>I've got HQ
>voices, which is nice, but I'm still looking for places I can go to
>get a bit more detail on the cultures.

For several of those cultures, there's really nothing more. You get to make it up!

>Part of this is because I'm trying to figure out where I would want to
>start a campaign. I do realize Dragon Pass is the classic, but I'd
>like to try somewhere else if possible.

In terms of raw amount of cultural detail, it's probably

Heortling (Dragon Pass)
Uz
Praxian

Like Keith, I recommend picking different time periods or unusual locations so that you don't have a lot of source material you have to learn (I'm on the fence as to whether Thunder Rebels and Storm Tribe actually made it easier to run a Heortling game because of their wealth of useful information, or harder because of their overabundance of trivia).

If you keep poking, you'll find that there has been a great deal of information published about Glorantha -- much of it no longer in print, or in small press magazines. You do NOT need to know all of it. Or feel intimidated by someone who's been reading it for 25 years.

>I probably want something on the outer edge of the Lunar empire, so
>that the Lunars can
>be present, even if not the main villains or story point

There's always Balazar (Griffin Mountain is back in print, even if not in HeroQuest terms)...

>something more political, more hack and slash, more "dark forbidden
>magics", etc.

To me this suggests the city-states of Ralios (which have never been documented in an official publication, but which have seen print -- my geographical index
<http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/geoIndex.html> is an attempt to help find all the places Ralios has been published, though I don't claim it's complete).

>But to give you an example of how newbie I am, I spent the last day
>or so hunting down
>a map I could use. As in a map with the basic countries/regions

Sadly, I don't think any such map is in print at the moment.

>I like that Glorantha as it is set up now has no "meta plot" to be
>revealed later. It's out
>there already.

To a degree there *is* a meta plot (the upcoming Hero Wars and the fall of the Red Moon), but it's written in promisingly/annoyingly vague fashion in King of Sartar. Really, you can do what you want.

--

David Dunham