RE: Re: Greetings and Felicitations

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 13:43:36 GMT

In message <001201c4326d$8eb2e7d0$0302a8c0_at_master> "Jane Williams" writes:

>Mmm... In fact some quite significant chunks of the overall meta-plot
>*aren't* already out there. Greg & co have surprises for us. And while I
>HATE secrecy and so on, I have to say that the surprises I've seen are going
>to be very, very, good. If you decide to run with the main meta-plot, and
>want to be able to make the most of it, don't invent anything significant
>about any of the main NPCs that isn't already in print. Sorry, NDA and all
>that, but it's only fair to point out that if you want to stick with the
>official line (and it IS going to be good), the freedom you (and I) prefer
>isn't actually there.

I think you're rather overemphasising the importance of the metaplot. Sure it's there and there are certain NPCs you need to be careful not to do anything permanent to but particularly for starting characters there's not much reason for them to be interacting to any great extent. There are even let outs like the fact that Argrath is as much a title as a name - so if one of your PCs wants to be Argrath and then gets killed in a scrap with half a dozen trollkin it just means he wasn't the famous Argrath.

There's also the fact that the important thing is the PCs storyline and the metaplot is mainly background. If your players really want to be Kallyr, Argrath and Broyan then your Glorantha is going to vary pretty dramatically pretty quickly as they make different decisions to those Greg writes about. However if your players choose to be other individuals involved in related matters the narrator can keep the metaplot on track without too much fudging. Whatever gets published officially it won't include a day by day diary of any character. Personally I prefer the latter approach, I'll happily read Greg's storyline but I'm not interested in replaying it. However the time when King Broyan was almost caught by the Lunars while visiting a mistress who turned out to be a Lunar spy is fun. It doesn't appear in the metaplot? well it wouldn't would it? Broyan's embarrassed by being played for a sucker and the Lunars failed.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/