Fw: [Continuum2004] Continuum Update, w/e 7th May

From: Darran <darransims_at_...>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 13:48:11 +0100

Greetings, Continuees.

Continuum Central is awash with games this week. Not only do we have another freeform (see below), so many attendees have proposed to run games that the goblins are working overtime to keep pace. The goblin controlling Mike Mason will be goading him to providing more details very soon, but for now we'll keep you abreast of more general developments.

  1. Freeforms 'After the Triumph' A fantasy version of the Late Roman Empire for 20 players. Cost £2.

Varrn has been victorious in the Fourth Necromantic War and a Triumph has been awarded for the campaign. This is the first meeting of the Senate of Varrn after the triumph and the Emperor (may he reign a thousand years) has indicated that he wishes to address the Senate on a matter of great import: his impending apotheosis and consequently the election of an heir.

Mind you, the Emperor (may he reign a thousand years)--who is as mad as a hatter--has been announcing his impending apotheosis at varying intervals for at least the past 550 years of his 600 year reign....

'Harem Nights', Gloranthan freeforming in Pamaltela. This game is now open for casting. Emails to Simonbrayuk_at_... for those who like their freeforming Arabian-flavoured, and their slippers flunkied.

'Intrigue in the Clouds' is also open for casting. Please pay a visit to: http://www3.sympatico.ca/dean.edgell/Intrigue.html for sign-up.

'Cruel Hearts & Coronets' still has places left. Freeforming in the far future, where the world mixes kings and queens with flamelances, baroque sorcery, intrigue, duplicity and animal masks. More detail will follow separately for those unfamiliar with the Cruel Hearts background.

2. Barbecue

We announced, somewhat optimistically, that the icebreaker for this year would be a BBQ. Now, with H&S and everything else attendant to feeding the masses, this is something that the University would need to provide. However, looking at the economics involved, it's pretty apparent (to the Continuum Central, at any rate), that - good idea though it is - it just won't be feasible. So, apologies all round to those who were losing sleep with the anticipation of munching on freshly charred steak or succulent sausage. Instead, we shall set our minds to something else that is equally ice-shattering as a way to start the evening. Watch this space.

3. Money Money Money

A big thank you to everyone who's registered to date. A couple of housekeeping notes:

As Continuum operates a postal account, cheques are banked en-masse. So, if you've sent payment and haven't had it clear on your bank statement, rest assured it's being processed. However, if you need email confirmation of receipt from us, or a hard copy receipt, please let us when you return your registration form.

Registration and accommodation is £25 plus £25 per night, and is payable in advance. So, if you register and want to stay Friday, Sat and Sun, the total cost is £100. We've received several cheques for lesser amounts than the payable registration and accommodation cost and, whilst we do gladly accept these, we would like to receive the outstanding amounts before the con (its the cashflow, y'see...). So, I shall be contacting those concerned individually to summarise payment received so far, and the amounts outstanding. Now, if there are problems or special circumstances, we're very happy to discuss, but otherwise it helps to keep our books firmly balanced.

4. Bring and Buy

For Continuum we're doing the auction differently. Convulsion had their legendary Sunday auction - we're going to hold a bring-and-buy stall... plus a little more.

We've set a room aside dedicated to the bring-and-buy stall. The stall won't be available 100% of the time, but the opening times will be published so you will know when you can pick up your games.

Basically, you bring your old games for sale, and you can buy other people's old games. The seller gets to choose how much to sell the game for, the buyer gets to decide whether they want to buy it or not.

And Continuum? We get 20%.

Here's how it works to sell your stuff:
#1 You download the Bring and Buy form (which will be uploaded to Continuum2004 group shortly)
#2 You complete the Bring and Buy form
#3 You bring your games to the Bring and Buy stall where we will book
them in. You must bring a form - and you might want to have a copy of that form for your records.
#4 We book the games in.
#5 We put the games on sale.
#6 Somebody buys the game. (They can pay cash or cheque.)
#7 On Sunday, you collect your unsold games.
#8 At the end of Continuum we work out how much you have earned
(basically, whatever you have sold, less our 20%). We mail the cheques out.

Bring and Buy FAQ

What happens to games that aren't collected on Sunday?

If you don't collect them on the Sunday, we will either give them away or put them in the bin. That sounds unfair, but if you can't be bothered to come and collect them, you can't expect us to.

Can I avoid paying you 20%?

Sure. We need volunteers to man the bring and buy stall. If you would like to man the stall for a two hour slot (minimum), you can keep the 20%.

How do you know whose game is whose?

We will use raffle tickets to identify each game. The raffle tickets will be stuck to the games with magic tape.

What do I do if a board game has components missing?

Ah - caveat emptor, I'm afraid. Buyer beware - can't be held responsible. We've asked the sellers to indicate if their games are complete, but it's your risk.

What if I have something that's especially valuable?

Good question. If you've got a signed Cults of Prax, or a complete set of The Unspeakable Oath, get in touch. We are also holding an ebay-style auction throughout the con - but only for the really good stuff!

Why is there a 20% fee?

Because we want to hold Continuum again, and the only way that will happen is if we don't lose money. The more we make this year, the more we can plough into future cons.

Continuum Ebay Auction

For the really good stuff, we're going to hold an ebay style auction. This will work as follows:

. Each item will have a starting bid (note - no reserve bids!). . When the bring and buy stall is open, you may bid for items. To do this you complete a bidding slip, detailing your name, Continuum Badge Number and your maximum bid (which won't necessarily be the amount you pay). You then give this to the guys manning the bring and buy stall.
. Please bid in units of £1.00 - it makes our life easier. . You have the winning bid if your bid is higher than anyone else's. However, the amount you win by is £1.00 more than the second highest bid - so it's just like Ebay.
. At intervals during Continuum we will post the details of the winning bid (not necessarily the maximum) and the name of that person.
. The auction starts when the bring and buy stall opens on Friday afternoon, and finishes when it closes on Sunday afternoon. . At the Sunday closing ceremony we will announce the winners and you can collect your goodies. Don't forget to bring your chequebook!

If you have something that you think is appropriate for the Continuum Ebay auction, please contact Steve Hatherley. Continuum will take a 20% fee. (And no, you can't escape paying the 20% fee.)

That's kind of it for this week. Have a great weekend everyone.

Loz

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor