Re: Re: True Dragons and heroic scale

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 12:42:25 GMT

In message <40A08F2B.2020607_at_...> Guy Hoyle writes:
>donald_at_... wrote:
>
>> When it gets too far from role-playing in Glorantha for an average
>> newcomer to cope with. It's not an either/or thing, I read both quite
>> happily but there's some stuff on the Digest which is just too obscure
>> for me to cope with. You're ready for the Digest when you've got to the
>> stage where you can say "I don't need to understand this" and pass on.
>
>Heck, there's stuff on THIS list that's too esoteric for me. Alakorings
>vs. Vingkotlings is a case in point. Knowing the different political
>stances of the various Lunar factions is a case in point. Heck, I don't
>want to even KNOW about the current Lunar emperor's bowel movments, for
>Orlanth's sake, but the picture is permanently embossed upon my brain ;-)

I might be wrong, but I thought that was on the Whitewall e-group. Certainly if it's slipped over onto this one it shouldn't have. The discussion is important for those trying to write up GAG but only the end result is relevant to the HQ group.

>I'm to the point where I'm thinking about coming up with a simpler
>background for HQ, de-emphasizing much of the "anthropowankery" of the
>past decade or so. I love anthropology, and there's a lot about the
>current HQ background that I consider crucial and necessary, but frankly
>I spend a lot of time these days going "Whaaaaa....?", and I've been
>playing games in Glorantha since 1979.

That's precisely the point, whatever you find too complex or confusing drop from your Glorantha. Then it reflects what you want without you having to create a background from scratch. Which, if you're like me, is often thought about but never likely to happen.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/