Re: Last Refuge of Scoundrels

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 13:45:49 -0000

I never suggested playing a _typical_ bunch of Vendref. By the same logic playing a bunch of prisoners of war in a Nazi run camp would be boring too....but some great movies and books have been made about that, which implies good games could be run there. I think the same logic applies to Vendref. Now, I'm not saying everyone should rush out and try this, but my gaming group of origin had a long history of starting heroes off in the worst of circumstances and letting them grow from there, and it often worked well.

Remember, heroes are by definition unusual!

So if I were to attempt something like that, I'd probably do something like:

Not saying it would all work out that way....no plan survives contact with players. Just saying that I don't see why you couldn't have an interesting arc playing exceptional Vendref. After all, Grazer lands really are in the middle of things in Dragon Pass. Some people would rather play Grazers, trying to deal with strict tradition in a changing world where the old ways increasingly fail to work. Others would rather play people where you can play something close to "typical" life and still have adventures (like the classic heortling clan based game). Still others want to play princes and generals and great priests, leaders of men determining the fate of nations. Me, I'm always more interested in how things work from the bottom up--I just personally like that style of story, where the focus is "below stairs" with the activities of the 'betters' being more like the weather, things that affect you, but are not of you. Not that the stories have to be inconsequential or the heroes weak or pathetic.

--Bryan