Tapping, Gloranthan west (was Refuge...)

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 23:59:12 +0300 (EEST)

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Light Castle wrote: <snip>>
> Ahh yes. Tapping. Something barely mentioned in one line of HQ. The very nasty
> sorcerous draining of life to power spells? How Vampiric.

Evil, and if not automatically evil at least flirting pretty close to it...

> > It is of course tempting to think of the Kingdom of War as the karmic
> > balance to Loksalm, that as Loksalm made itself ever more virtuous,
> > its cast off sins somehow came to rest in the Kingdom of War. But
> > surely that can't be....

That pretty much is the offiscial line. That part I like.

> The Kingdom of War certainly seems to break the Gloranthan standard of "nothing is
> straight good or evil", doesn't it?

That's not all. The KoW seems terribly unsubtle to me. I've done some fiddling with the timelines in my Glorantha campaign (not that anybody has seen that part of Glorantha yet, so this may still change) so that the syndicts ban wasn't in effect for so long. This means that there is a nasty demonic (and demonizing) area where all the karmic nastyness of Loskalm has been dumped, but it's not quite as realized as KoW.

I have no trouble with a place of nasty demons, succubi and all the other human wickedness expelled from Loskalm, but the KoW just seems too cheesy.

On a related note, I'm still hoping for some more "colour" for the west of Glorantha. We already have Pendragon for playing Arthurian medieval fantasy. I think the highly advanced cultures of early Islamic middle-east would be a more fertile source.

Monotheism, scienses, magi... an interesting language to draw names from and not one more group of germanic/scandinavian blondes tromping around Glorantha. :)

        -Adept