Re: Last Refuge of Scoundrels

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 01:59:59 -0000

Good to know, I always wondered about that one.

> >at about the end
> >> of the second age (this was the end of the second age in
Fronela,
> >> just like the closing and the DragonKill ended it elsewhere)
> >
> Actually no, this was clearly in the Third Age, and pretty recently
at
> that. The end of the Second Age in Fronela is marked largely by the
> retreat and fall of the God Learners, and by the Closing.

My apologies--I associate this with the general loss of communication and knowledge that happened at the end of the 2nd age, and I guess I'd somewhere lost track of the proper time-line.

> >When the syndics ban dropped from one region that had been
> >unremarkable prior to the syndics ban,
> >
> Not just unremarkable - most of it wasn't even *there*. Oh, there
was a
> small forest with trolls in it, but what came out from behind the
Ban
> was much larger. It shoved the entire coastline several miles to
the west...

But how widely know is that known? I mean, how do you even tell your coast line has moved without a GPS system or _really_ good longitude measuring? Maybe ENPL (Essence Node Position Location) magic? I understand that after the syndic ban dropped it was possible to see that the KOW was bigger than the maps indicated, but.....somehow I don't see people being as concerned about its size as its existence. Anyway, an interesting bit highlighting its supernatural creation.

> >It is of course tempting to think of the Kingdom of War as the
karmic
> >balance to Loskalm, that as Loskalm made itself ever more
virtuous,
> >its cast off sins somehow came to rest in the Kingdom of War. But
> >surely that can't be....
> >
> Perish the thought. Loskalm purged itself of all it nastiness by
> expelling it all into the Ban. And things you throw into the Ban
don't
> come back. Right?

I assume that the 'coicidence' hasn't escaped many informed observers in Glorantha. I've not seen anything suggesting that Gloranthas are aware that there is a definate connection, but I'm far from an expert on the subject.....so for you who are: how much of the metaphysical truth is actually known? (I don't really care what the truth is, so much as what is perceived)