Re: Re: Gloranthan maps

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 11:18:55 -0700

> > Even so, it's pretty frustrating in actual gaming (narrating)
> > situations.
> >

> "National borders" are pretty much a modern concept, along with
> nationalism. Particularly ones that are cut and dried. You might want
> to check out the borders of most European states... even in the last
> century they were remarkably fluid.

And even such "Fixed Borders" as Hadrian's Wall or the Rhine river were penetrated pretty easily, in both directions.

I suppose a question to ask is "Why do you need the border"? Is it to determine the ownership of cities/places, or to determine "Use the Tarshite keywords live here, Sartarite ones there"? Border regions between cultures are usually a mix of the two cultures - the farther you go towards the border, the less you can tell the two peoples apart.

RR
- Richelieu