Re: Esrolia

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 21:27:21 +1300

Mark Mohrfield:

>FGS>I am not convinced that this is an Esrolian practice at all.<

Bah, Humbug! I suppose I shall have to describe this as a practice of a particular faction of queens or at least the Demivierge of Rhigos.

>Glad to hear that! To my own dismay, though, I suppose there are
>eunuchs in Glorantha somewhere. Kralorela and/or Fonrit perhaps?

Kralori "eunuchs of the palace" are mentioned in the Glorantha: Intro p196. They probably are responsible to the Imperial Chamberlain.

Since the Kralori Emperors are very wise sages, they don't need much in the way of harems and thus even less need of eunuchs. I figured that they are followers of Thalurzni's teachings and have transmuted their organs into their spiritual dragon self, explaining their apparent sexlessness. Have yet to convince Alex of this however...

According to Missing Lands, Fonrit has one described eunuch, the Blueskin ruler of Barueli. The Heroes writeup of Fonrit said that "Harems are the rule for the rich potentates, guarded by jealous and powerful eunuchs."

But the Byzantines had Eunuchs too who were important in government (such as Narses during the Gothic Wars) as did the Ptolemies of Egypt. Esrolia with its quasi-near-eastern atmosphere thus seemed the best place to find eunuchs and MOB's been writing about them there for some years now. I can't think of anywhere else they might go...

--Peter Metcalfe