Re: Re: Gloranthan maps

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 15:50:37 -0400

On 20 May 2004 at 13:29, Julian Lord wrote:

> Except of course that just such a massive bone of contention is there
> IMO ... :-)
Depends on the game you're playing. Do the current boundaries of Carmania reflect the boundaries of "Greater Cramania", which some families might want to see restored one day? (etc. etc. etc.)

> YRWWV ... ;-)
It does. All the time. ;-)

> The border between, say, Afghanistan and Tajikistan is a very fluid one,
> whereas the border between France and Switzerland isn't.

But how many people in Afghanistan and Tajikstan or perhaps better, Afghanistan and Pakistan, actually think of themselves as different people or nations?

> I'd guess that border lines are fairly important in the feudal West,
> because at the micro level each local Lord and Knight needs to know
> which fields he owns and which peasants pay how much poll tax to whom,
> and at the macro level which local Lords are subject to which Kings,
> Bishops, et cetera ... This would remain important even at the national
> level IMO.
>
> They don't strike me as being so important in most of central Genertela
> though. I can't see the Loonies thinking much of the idea, and we know
> that the Heortlings organize their Kingdoms along different lines.
> Possibly, the Esrolian border is more well defined, given the a strong
> local links to the Land and fields...

I would think that the Lunars do pay attention to the idea of the border. The Empire, not the Way. The Lunar Way sees no national borders, because we are all us, and all will be saved by the coming Lunar age of peace and joy. (would you like a flower?). The Empire, especially those old Dara Happan functionaries, probably have it all written down somewhere.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I never wanted hard and fast fixed borders, just more a sense of what people view their lands as encompassing, which I don't get a good sense of with the current ones. (Hence my idea of maps that differ from cultural supplement to cultural supplement.)