apologies and retractions

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 13:32:04 -0000

Mea culpa.

I should really have gone digging through my box of old runequest material before I put finger to keyboard this week. In my defense, 15 years ago when I bought most of my Runequest material I was interested in it purely as a player (and a fairly young one at that, I mean, I had hair and everything…..), so really didn't pay attention to certain things very carefully, and just didn't remember that certain things were there in my collection. Nonetheless, if I'd researched before typing, I wouldn't feel like such an ass this morning.

After being caught on where the blank land is in Fronela (not Charg, Charg is merely unknown), I did find my trusty old crate of treasures, but I didn't finish going through likely looking references until breakfast this morning, and naturally everything I was looking for was in the last of the books I was looking through.

The big Genertela book from the Genertela boxed set for RQ3 is a wonderful reference, only slightly outdated. It was where the blank lands were defined, and while I don't remember them off the cuff, they are actually listed in the index under "blank lands." If I'd taken the time to check I would have had the names right. Also, looking through it, I was surprised and delighted to see maps of each region, showing political boundaries.

Now, I'm still not clear if blank lands are going to remain that way or not, and I still think that in some new publications it would be handy to give some idea of political boundaries (heck, even written ones would beat nothing). But I not only should have known how far up the Janube valley Loksalm goes from looking at this map loe many years gone by, I actually have the maps I was complaining didn't exist. It was raisin bran with a side order of crow for breakfast this morning.

In the specific case of LightCastle, whenever you make it up the 40/417, let me know and you can borrow this book and see the borders amongst much other crunchy goodness. Adept, all I can say is see if you can find and afford a copy of this OOP set, which is a suggestion I hate to give, but it seems the best option available. People who aren't on this list, coming into HQ, wondering whether Esrolia borders the Grazelands and Beast Valley, well, I guess they are just out of luck.

One final note on the political map thing: Obviously having shown the borders in that set didn't scar the whole community too badly, if nobody arguing against showing borders seemed to even recall that they had in fact been shown once--or maybe you were just trying to hide this heretical knowledge? ;-)

--A chagrined Bryan