Re: Political map of Glorantha

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 21:45:30 GMT

In message <Pine.GSO.4.58.0405222249400.17002_at_...> Mikko Rintasaari writes:

>I wonder how thorough a knowledge the Lunar's have about Genertela?
>
>They fight wars in Dragon Pass and Kethaela, Trade with Kralorela and
>show an active interest in the city states of the Janube River.
>
>Ralios and the whole area behind the mountains there is propably a bit
>of a mystery. No easy access accross the mountains, and nothing much of
>interest. Seshnela is propably known by reputation and some very distant
>tricle's of trade.
>
>What do you folks think?

If the Lunar armies have marched though somewhere, I think they will have pretty good maps - main roads and major settlements. If Lunar traders have been somewhere they'll have pretty accurate descriptions of trade routes, cities and large towns but distances are probably a bit iffy and directions approximate. Fine for following the route but no use for working out where somewhere is in relation to another place. Elsewhere knowledge is second or third hand, I think such information is deliberately collected but its accuracy is highly variable.

Judging by the RW medieval maps which were mentioned earlier the result will then be distorted by mythology and assumptions based on religious doctrine. So the crater will be the centre of the world and take up a totally disproportionate area to get all the detail of the moon in there. Then there will be routes to various hells and mythological paths all jumbled up together. There may be some sort of standard code which tells readers whether something is on the material plane, the hero plane or the god plane. Equally it may be up to the individual mapmaker.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/