Re: Borders? Kingship!

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 19:02:55 -0700

> Nationality is a question of who you swear allegiance to, and where you
live
> is often secondary. Land gets swapped back and forth, and is even given
> away - the Orkneys being one historical example that springs readily to
> mind. Borders are less important than the effective range of the nearest
> warrior band.

And as a Gloranthan example, sometimes the Aldachuri are part of Sartar, sometimes part of Tarsh, and sometimes independent. Individual clans can leave one tribe to join another - sure, the clan boundaries remain the same, but one tribe "gains territory" while another loses it. Yet it's not viewed as losing land, but losing specific things: the hot spring where the King liked to go and soak, the warriors of the fyrd, the cattle paid as fees and rents, the status of having that clan in the tribe.

RR
- Richelieu