Re: Dragon Pass and boundaries

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 12:44:32 +0100 (BST)

>I do think that if the DP map had tried to put firm
>boundaries, that would have said things about the
>Heortlings which really aren't accurate.

There is also a far more practical problem - Dragon Pass has been used for campiagns for some time now without any 'official' word on boundaries. If we had marked official boundaries on the map it would doubtless have upset someone who said 'x is not the correct boundary' or 'y is not the correct boundary'.

This is further complicated by the fact that the lack of official boundaries has led to fan versions of where clan boundaries are, which may contradict where Greg has them, leading to upset when II presents his version. As it is just the implicit boundaries in the text description have led to some crying foul and saying that we violated previously 'agreed' locations. Just ask the Wilmskirk list about some of the debate we have had over the exact location of the southern tribes. It's unfortunately a bit like trying to retrospectively decide boundaries for tribes in Roman Britain from archeological evidence - all the groups don't agree.

The djinni is out of the bottle on this one so to speak. It is probably too late for II to 'officially' draw firm boundaries on the DP map. There have been enough arguments over areas where we made textual suggestions. But there is nothing to stop fan's doing so. The whitewall group has a version of the southern tribes, as does the wilmskirk group.

Ian Cooper
0208-672-0717(H)07970-411892 (M)

"Give the kids tools, so they can go build their own houses; not the blueprint of what the houses should be." Tori Amos

Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html