Re: Whitewall

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 14:25:14 -0700

> Too bad. Fits with the community support idea. (And works well with the
idea that only
> those supporting the Battle of Icewall get it back -- those who came back
to fight on
> recover the magic of the community that lost it.)

The attack is made by the Lunars against "all" Orlanthi - ("all" being defined as those in DP and the surrounding regions). By worshipping Orlanth, all Heortlings are giving "Total community suppport" to Orlanth in this struggle. That is why they all get zapped by the no-wind. And the Ernaldans are giving at least Extraordinary Community Support (wifely duty and all that) so they get zapped as well. The other Storm Pantheon dieties give less support to Orlanth through their worship, so are less affected. (These culture-vrs-culture clashes will become more and more frequent as the Hero Wars progress. Who is the real sun? You can make it Elmal by beating the snot out of the Dara Happans, Grazelanders, Pentans, Bloody Sun-ers, Sun Domers... OiD is just an early taste of what's to come.)

The Lunars figure that once "the last city of Orlanth" falls, they've won. Yay! A whole year of parties! Too bad they don't realize that Orlanth isn't a god of cities, but of the wilderness and agricultural communities. Also, the core of the rebellion escaped Whitewall and have their own plans/rituals/quests to do, and they have their myths of the end of the Great Darkness to aid them.

If you want to look at it rules-mechanistically, the entire Invasion/war against Orlanth is a decades-long extended contest, pitting the Lunars (and allies) against "Orlanthi Culture" in Dragon Pass and surrounding areas. In this round, after years of getting beat on by the Lunars, the Orlanthi are brought to Major Defeat by the Lunars. But, while the Lunars are distracted planning their year-long celebration of the "Death of Orlanth", the rebels perform a Final Action and manage to scrape out a Marginal Victory. The people at Iceland get their magic back! Yay! Now they just have to bring the word back to their clans. The fight is still on.

RR
- Richelieu