RE: One for the players....

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 08:32:19 +0100

> I suspect many of the people who use this site are narrators, but as
> one myself I have a question that I would like to direct at any
> players tuning in;

Right, that's me (mostly)

> What are you looking for when you play a Gloranthan game of
> Heroquest?

> It is also given that it is a social occasion with friends/ other
> gamers.

Not usually, for me. I PBeM - only get the chance to face-to-face at cons. It's sort of social, but probably not in the sense you mean.

> to kill stuff
> to grab treasure
> to become an emperor
> or whatever you can think of!

None of the above.... Well, maybe those as well.

The main thing I want is character development. Getting the character to learn things, meet new ideas, make new friends, have their original assumptions challenged, change and grow up as a result. Yes, on the way they'll probably kill things and grab treasure, but that's a means to an end.

Secondary would be having some impact on the universe we're in. Even if it's just one stead full of peasants saying "yeah, these guys are great, they saved us", or even "don't go near them, they're bad luck!". Recognition, rather than necessarily power.

And both these things are unquantifiable in most other RPG systems I know of. Here, it seems to me that I spend HP on "personality" abilities and relationships, and I get what I want.