Re: Esrolia

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 22:56:37 +1300

Keith Nellist:

>I am interested how Esrolia deals with the edges of it's territory. What I
>mena is, how does it interact with the clan next door that is just out of
>Esrolia. Is that clan "a bit" more female dominated, is it a gradual change
>or would there be a definite dividing line. It seems to me to be almost
>certain to provoke problems - I guess this can be seen in Greymanes raids.

There's three possible borders according to the Runequest Companion map: Esrolia/Ditali, Esrolia/Caladraland and Esrolia/Porthomeka. There might be a fourth border around the Longsi Lands, but the upper reaches of the Malthin River are inhabited by the Arstola Elves AFAIK.

The Esrolia/Ditali border seems to lie between Dizbos and Solong on the Esrolian side, and Staton and Kithma on the Ditali side. The Ditali are a nation of Wenelians that were formerly a Trader principality. As Wenelians, the Ditali have a swine-eye view of Orlanth although there are some Malkioni gentry among them (as part of the Ralian trader princes). There's no trader prince as of now, as he's sold out and gone home.

The Esrolia/Caladraland border lies between Esrolia and Caladraland. On one side, the hotheaded caladrans dwelling in the jungle and on the other cultivated esrolians harvesting the fields.

Outsiders probably miss the border between Esrolia and Porthomekan but the two peoples can tell the difference. Male leaders are more prominent in Porthomeka and there is a much greater tendency to sky worship there.

IMO anyway.

>Another question would be their relationship with Trolls, who would have
>been a dominant factor in Esrolian life for most of the Kingdom of Night
>era.

IMO it's known as the Dark Ages and only the Old Earth alliance seeks its return.

>It seems to me that Esrolia must have been peculiarly troll friendly -
>would this be a by product of matriarchy or vice versa?

The Troll ruler was a patriarch AFAIK.

--Peter Metcalfe