RE: What happen to Chaos ?

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:24:43 -0700

> In the current devellopment of HQ it seems chaos has a little place.
> For me it is as important as orlanthi, lunar or other culture.

My impression is, the presence of chaos was somewhat exagerated in RQ. Chaos is out there, and is very important in most mythic systems, but it just isn't a big day-to-day danger for most people--unless you happen to live near a chaos nest, like Foulblood or Snakepipe Hollow. (Or unless they send the Bat at you.)

There are chaotic cultures, but they're out on the fringe. (And there isn't a single monolithic "Chaotic culture", since it's too, well, chaotic for that...)

I think past Glorantha games tended to exaggerate the day-to-day danger of chaos, since the chaotic beasties were such great enemies. I think the typical Gloranthan worries about Chaos the way, say, the typical American worries about terrorism--he knows it's out there, he's heard stories about it, he knows you need to take sensible precautions, but it just doesn't loom large in his consciousness.