RE: Old fan and official stuff

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 11:01:51 -0700

Florent

>i dont know anything about publishing so here is my question :
>there is alot of "old" stuff, like fanzine(tales of the reaching moon
>(older number), book of drastic resolution, heros ...) that are not
>avaible now.
>Can they be republished ?

One of the important things to know about publishing is that it costs money. (And the more copies you print, the less each copy costs.) I don't know what the demand is, but I imagine that reprinting enough copies of Book of Drastic Resolution to get the per-copy cost down would result in more copies than could be sold (since it presumably got decent saturation the first time around).

Moon Design gets around this problem in part by making compilations -- Pavis & Big Rubble together should sell to someone who lacked either original. I don't know if they have plans for a Tales compilation -- I know the idea has been discussed in the past.

Heroes wasn't a fan publication. The RQ material from it was all property of Chaosium, and presumably now owned by Issaries. You would have to make arrangements with them to reprint it. However, much of it is already available online, e.g.
<http://www.glorantha.com/library/history/timeline-lunar.html>.

Jane

>Grabbing the nearest fanzine off the shelf (which happens to be Enclosure
>I), I find that "Gloranthan material is copyright 1997 by the individual
>authors and by Greg Stafford" - and since it's all Gloranthan material....
>
>But also "Enclosure is copyright 1997 Neil Robinson".

That's a compilation copyright. In other words, the various bits that Martin Laurie wrote are copyright Martin Laurie. But the grouping of them all into one work creates a new work, which is also copyright.

--

David Dunham