Re: The road to shamanism?

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:39:03 -0700 (PDT)

> Are most eventual shamans identified by
> existing shamans at a young age (while
> still just spiritists), and so only
> become practioners of the "shamanic" spirit,
> or do most become practioners of some other
> spirit first, decide that they are pulled
> to the route of a shaman, then try to find
> out if they have the right stuff,
> take on the practice of the shamanic
> cult, etc.

I think that most future shamans come to light during each culture's initiation. This can anticipated or very, very unexpected. The child that talks to bushes at age 4 is probably going to be a shaman (or crazy, but what's the difference?). But some seemingly normal ones have their other halves awakened by the experience of initiation. Most people can only follow a single path (use an appropriate metaphor here) through initiation; I think that an awakening shaman sees too many paths, so inevitably follows the "wrong" one; eventually, after seeing many strange and terrifying things, this path leads to the Horned Man or whoever heads the shamanic practice.

Chris Lemens

Yahoo! Mail - 50x more storage than other providers! http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail