Re: Re: Soldiers pay and narcotics?

From: victor <thelhf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 11:56:17 -0700

bethexton_at_... wrote:

>>I'm running a game set in Prax dealing with a Lunar punishment
>>

>regiment
>

>>and drug running, so I have a couple questions:
>>
>>How much does the average Lunar soldier in New Pavis make a month?
>>

>(Or
>

>>whatever the pay rate is.) Or any guesses to what the amount might
>>

>be.
>

>Hmmmm, whatever the nominal pay is, I have the suspicion that the
>actual payments may be erratic and in arrears. After all, shipping
>large amounts of coin across Prax to some dusty town on the edge of
>nowhere is risky, and from a bureaucratic perspective wasteful--why
>teh soldiers aren't willing to just have their wages put on account
>for when they return is completely impossible to understand from a
>civilized perspective, given that the army gives the lodging and
>food. So I'd guess that the average trooper actually sees more coin
>from bribes and shake downs than from formal pay.
>
>But that is just my cycnical view of things.
>
>--Bryan

Hmm, good point. Bribes are definetly going to be a big part of the game. I would guess that many soldiers don't want their money put in an account is because they want to have it to use on drink and women. And of course gambling.

I have a faint memory of reading about a mint in the Rubble, but I don't remember if it's still working or who controls it.

--Victor