Re: Soldiers pay and narcotics?

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 20:49:07 -0000

Yes.....but!

According to recent orthodoxy, traditional Dara Happan society does not operate on a cash basis. It is likely that those who were in the military were somehow rewarded upon retirement for their service, but they may never have been paid per se (although I'm sure there was some sort of disposable income of some sort, but there may have been all sorts of bizarre arrangements too, like official distribution of alcohol and prostitutes). Those units may still operate mostly on a retirement fund style.

Other regions of the empire are apt to have more regard for cold hard cash amongst the troops, but given the dara happan influence, and a strong central government which can keep track of debts, they may still have a substantial portion of their pay in the form of mustering out/retirement pay. They still need to have their fun, so will get cranky if pay is late, but since they know that they will get paid eventually, if their commanders can arrange for life to be reasonably sweet, the result could be more patience than one would generally expect. Still, I would expect long gaps between pay, and the worry about whether or not the next pay chest will arrive, is a major topic of grumbling. As is being paid in sub-standard coin collected locally in taxes.

Of course, the less regular units will be on a much more cash now basis. I'm not that clear on the units serving in Pavis, however.

> And the pay is most likely in hard currency, not scrip. Which means
that the
> Lunars have to figure out how to get hundreds of pounds (if not
tons) of
> silver and/or gold (for officers, naturally) through Dragon Pass
and into
> Prax (and down to the siege at whitewall, and into the Holy
Country) without
> it being snatched by the resistance.

Hmmmmm, I bet there are economic implications in that much outflow of gold/silver from the empire, and also the inflow where troops are stationed.

-Bryan