Re: Re: Soldiers pay and narcotics?

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 03:23:33 GMT

In message <5.0.2.1.2.20040626113940.00a85c50_at_...> Peter Metcalfe writes:
>At 08:32 PM 6/25/04 +0000, you wrote:

>>If someone ever makes Lunar coins there the army
>>will be sent in to arrest them.
>
>Why? They are producing a social good - namely coins
>that the army can use to pay its troops. The question
>that should be asked is why the Army isn't out there
>garrisoning the Mint. Since bandits control it, I suspect
>a cut is being paid to SorEel and others...

I think the Lunars will be very concerned about counterfitting Lunar coinage as it could filter back to the Heartlands. Makes much more sense to let the bandits produce foreign coins which are accepted for taxes at a disadvantagous rate of exchange but palmed off on the soldiers as equivelent. Much easier than arranging to collect a cut.

The primary purpose of producing coins is to ease trade because merchants have a guarantee of value. Once that guarantee is devalued merchants treat all those coins with suspicion damaging the government that issues them. Not that that has stopped some making short terms gains at the expense of the long term.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/