Re: Re: Soldiers pay and narcotics?

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 13:09:17 GMT

In message <cbje56+dshd_at_...> "Rob" writes:

>> I think the Lunars will be very concerned about counterfitting
>> Lunar coinage as it could filter back to the Heartlands....
>
>The original question didn't say what version of Glorantha they were
>playing - RQ2 or 3, Hero Wars or Heroquest.

As this is a HQ list, I answered in that context.

>I got out my old box sets of Pavis and Borderlands. On the question
>of suitable pay for soldiers/ mercenaries Duke Raus pays 10L per
>week and 500L of spell teaching per year. This is RQ2 of course.
>In RQ 3 a spell point of training cost 30L! so tweaking may be
>required.
>
>I think the rates are still good by and large. Of course for HQ/HW
>you would pay some money to get taught common magic. A contribution
>to your cult for a magic feat from a deity. But thats a question
>for the narrator for her campaign.

The HQ rules actually relegate all this detail to a wealth ability, which is why I made the suggestions I did. Of course if a group want to bother with all the book-keeping they can.

>On the economics questions, then I think that the economy will be
>fairly self contained. The Lunar garrison will help New Pavis to
>prosper by bringing outside money in. I think that bringing any
>money in to supplement the taxes would not be *such* an issue.
>Every time the relief garrison came then they could bring it. The
>nomads themselves are not really interested in shiny metal discs
>(well some are, probably. the 85% all rule?)

More coin doesn't make a place prosper by itself and if a large group of the population isn't interested in it that makes the problem worse. The arrival of several thousand troops in the area all needing to be fed, housed and entertained will have disrupted the local economy and a continual inflow of coin will make the problem worse.

>The Mint. Well I remember that the Lunars didn't mind so much the
>minting of coins, but that they would be minted in forms that they
>don't approve of - ie when the Yelornans control the mint and
>produce their *silver stars*.

I think that was in those innocent days when we assumed that no one would make coins with impure metal. Now we know there are PCs who would devalue the coinage to rip off the people who apparently produced them.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/