Re: Soldiers pay and narcotics?

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 17:43:50 -0000

> Soldiers that don't get paid regularly have a tendency to mutiny,
> *especially* if they are in a garrison situation (where foraging
for food
> can mean that your barracks are burned down with you inide them -
garrison
> troops *need* cash to spend on food, drink, companionship, etc).
While a
> *very* loyal unit might be willing to forgive up to six months
worth of back
> pay, a less than fanaticly loyal unit (or mercenaries) may start
having
> mutinous thoughts after the first missed payment.

This has been something that I (and I think to a lesser extent, Martin Laurie) have pondered. Based on the cost of a cow, Roman soldier payment and the new improved value of the Lunar, my estimate is that the average soldier receives 60 Lunars a year in pay. Some get more, some get less. They get this in coin and probably four times a year.

> And the pay is most likely in hard currency, not scrip. Which
means that the
> Lunars have to figure out how to get hundreds of pounds (if not
tons) of
> silver and/or gold (for officers, naturally) through Dragon Pass
and into
> Prax (and down to the siege at whitewall, and into the Holy
Country) without
> it being snatched by the resistance.

Yep. This is a big logistical problem. Circa 1610, supporting the Lunar army of occupation in Dragon Pass cost about 20,000 lunars (or 1 daran) a year in hard currency (which is a lot of cows). Much of that is from the taxes and tribute imposed on the Sartarite tribes (make conquest pay for conquest), but I think that Empire and Provincial Government provides some 5,000 to 10,000 Lunars in support a year. FWIW, the Assiday's are pocketing some 3,000 to 5,000 Lunars a year as well. There probably are hundreds of pounds of silver - not tons - going back and forth through Dragon Pass.

These costs go up significantly in 1613 and dramatically again in 1618. They continue to rise from 1618 through 1624. The siege of Whitewall is very very expensive and provides little booty once the citadel finally falls. On the other hand, the conquest of Heortland and Esrolia is probably very very lucrative.

Jeff