Re: Soldiers pay and narcotics?

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_...>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 17:35:44 -0400

donald_at_...:

> All the accounts I've read indicate much grumbing about missed and
> delayed pay but relatively little actual mutiny even among mercenaries.

When the Spanish were trying to deal with the rebellious Netherlands, they had repeated problems with the unpaid garrisons of towns mutinying and taking control of the places they were suposed to be protecting. IIRC there were cases of the garrisons selling the towns to the rebels.

The Spanish had unusual problems because they had to send all pay and supplies over a long land route including many different German statelets.

Andrew