Re: Re: Soldiers pay and narcotics?

From: Mark Wallace <markwallace_at_...>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 08:56:19 -0400

I was thinking of the English coinage in the 17th century which was refused pretty much anywhere except England - indeed, English merchants wanted payment in Spanish coin. The English coin was mixed with lead, shaved and otherwise of far less value than the nominal 20 shillings/pound of silver. The Piece of Eight however, coming from a Spain with more silver than it knew how to spend, was of a far higher silver content.

Yes, I suppose you could argue that everyone involved maintained a sort of mental record of the degree to which each coin was debased - and that is represented well with HQ kind of mechanics.

Respectfully however, the scenario I described is, IMO, more interesting. The troopers are being asked to risk life and limb for an abstract concept that none of them understand. ( I don't believe the average trooper cares about silver content, so long as the local girls take the coin).