Re: coinage

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 16:46:19 -0700

Paul May <kax_at_...> wrote:
> At 02:51 AM 27/06/04, you wrote:
>> I think that was in those innocent days when we assumed that no one
>> would make coins with impure metal. Now we know there are PCs who
>> would devalue the coinage to rip off the people who apparently
>> produced them.
>

> Wouldn't an Issaries or equivalent devotee be able to value coinage
> with ease, instantly being able to tell if he's being short-changed?

On top of which, I expect most coins bear the symbol/name/image of a god, a king, or both. In essence, putting the picture of Takenegi on the coin amounts to saying, "Takenegi says this is one lunar's worth of silver." Producing an adulterated coin would, I think, amount to swaring falsely by the god or king--you're saying "Takenegi says this is good", when it isn't.

Magically speaking, swearing falsely by a god is dangerous. Swearing falsely by a king may be less so, but it's still risky. (What if Good King Whatsit instructs the liturgists to put a really strong curse on anyone who might adulterate his coinage?) And if it's a dead king, who knows what he may do if you blaspheme his memory...

That isn't to say it can't be done, just that it shouldn't be done *lightly*. I'm sure the Krarshties know all sorts of tricks for getting away with this. And, of course, this doesn't protect you if the ruler himself decides to adulterate the coins--if (as very often happened) the king decides to save money by mixing a little bit of tin with the silver (or a little copper with the gold). That may be a reason for coins to bear the mark of a king *and* a god--if the coin has the image of Argrath and the mark of Issaries, then it amounts to a statement, "I, Argrath, pledge by Issaries that the coin is pure". And if he fiddles with the coinage, Issaries will have words with him.