Re: Esrolia

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 05:32:32 -0800

At 01:15 AM 1/11/2001 EST, you wrote:
>I am interested how Esrolia deals with the edges of it's territory. What I
>mena is, how does it interact with the clan next door that is just out of
>Esrolia. Is that clan "a bit" more female dominated, is it a gradual change
>or would there be a definite dividing line. It seems to me to be almost
>certain to provoke problems - I guess this can be
>seen in Greymanes raids.

No definite dividing line.
There are always gradual changes.
We know that some clans even as far away as Sartar revere goddesses more than gods.
Border troubles are a great source of story.

>Another question would be their relationship with Trolls, who would have
been
>a dominant factor in Esrolian life for most of the Kingdom of Night era. It
What does "dominant factor" mean?
The trolls didn't try to affect human practices, either political or religious.
The Esrolians and trolls both have a goddess-dominated religion, and we know that they shared worship for many deities. Who is Ezkankekko's mother? They shared a concern for keeping world order by cooperation.

>seems to me that Esrolia must have been peculiarly troll friendly - would
>this be a by product of matriarchy or vice versa?
What does "troll friendly" mean in this context? I sincerely doubt it means that people were chummy with uz, having them by for dinner parties, orgies or sacrifices. (and what human would accept an invitation to ANY of those function from the uz without mortal trepidation?) The Esrolian peoples had reached an accomodation with having uz as the supreme political leaders. I doubt that it affected local human politics. Clans would not be affected.
Sure they would be paying tribute or something to the uz. But that had been established before time began. It is simply "the way it is." Certainly it would have prevented the people from automatically deciding thatg all uz were terrible cratures as they did in Seshnela (for instance).

Greg Stafford
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>