Re: Re: Talents and slaves

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 00:52:30 GMT

In message <cchsjk+5gtf_at_...> "jeffrichard68" writes:

>> > Average it
>> > out over the period of Occupation (1602-1625) and maybe it comes
>> > out to a thousand or so slaves a year. Maybe more.
>> erm, how fast do Sartarites breed???? Is this a sustainable crop??
>
>Assuming that there is some 150,000 Sartarites (give or take ten
>thousand), the Lunars should be able to take a thousand or so slaves
>a year without too much difficulty. On the other hand, I think that
>amount of slaves taken fluxuates each year (although the trend rises
>from 1602 to 1625) and I doubt this is the result of some
>intelligible policy. It is just that the opportunity increasingly
>presents itself!

I expect most of the slaves are prisoners taken in the rebellions, plus the odd clan enslaved for too prominant a role in a rebellion or failing to pay their taxes. Of course if a slave trader picks up some of the beggers hanging round the cities no one's going to object. An average of a thousand a year seems pretty low for all that.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/