How Uralda Joined the Storm Tribe

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 17:04:27 -0700

Since people are tossing myths around, I thought I'd offer this one I whomped up a while back. (Unaccountably, there are no trolls whatsoever in the myth. I don't know what I was thinking.)

What do people think of it? And... does it contradict any known sources? (Do we have some other established origin for Uralda?)

HOW URALDA JOINED THE STORM TRIBE
(as recorded by Andrew Solovay)

When Orlanth was a young god, he wandered far over the world. He was often alone, and often hungry. When he was hungry, he was short-tempered, and quarelled with everyone he met. And because he was alone, other gods treated him with no respect, as a wandering beggar.

When he decided to form the Storm Tribe, he said, "We will need food, or we will always be quarelling. We will need wealth, or other tribes will not give us honor."

Orlanth saw that the people of the Evil Emperor were well-fed and well-respected. Not afraid to learn, Orlanth went to their lands to discover the source of their wealth.

Orlanth saw that the people feasted on milk and cheese with every meal, and had meat on every feast-day. He saw that they wore good clothing of leather, and had hides to stretch over their walls to keep out the cold. He saw that they were happy, even though they lived under an evil ruler. "A good meal contents, even when the chief is bad," said Orlanth.

Orlanth searched to see where all the wealth came from. He found that the source of the Emperor's wealth was a young goddess named Uralda. Her children gave milk every day, and even offered their very flesh and skins when the people were needy. But Orlanth was shocked to see that Uralda lived alone, without honor and respect. "If I were the emperor, I would give her an honor-guard of a thousand spearmen and a dozen gryphons. But he does not leave even a single thane at her door! How does he hold her in so little account?"

So that night, Orlanth rode to her home in the quiet hours before dawn. Uralda was awake, and greeted him warmly. Orlanth could not help asking,
"How is it that you are not attended by servants? Does the Emperor care so
little for the wealth of his land?"

"Alas," said Uralda, "the Emperor thinks only gold is wealth. He guards gold
closely, but thinks little about me. He honors the golden plates in his palace, and scorns the cheese and flesh which are served on them."

"He is a fool indeed!" said Orlanth. "Can you eat gold? Can you wrap gold
over your shoulders to keep out the chill of the night? He does not know what wealth is!" And when Uralda saw that Orlanth honored her, she gladly agreed to come with him.

Remember this well, child. Orlanth knew what wealth is. Our wealth is our herds, and we have our herds because we show them honor. The honor we show them is to guard them against thieves. If we do not guard our herds well, Uralda will know we scorn her, and her children will gladly await a raider. You hate riding sentry on a cold night, do you? Wrap your leather cloak around yourself, and remember that a daughter of Uralda died to clothe you. Show your gratitude by watching over her children. And if a neighboring tribe scorns Uralda with their carelessness, teach them wisdom the way Orlanth taught it to the Emperor--by taking their cows and watching them better!