[MYTH] Hindall's Raid

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:11:25 -0700

The reaction to my last myth ("How Uralda Joined the Storm Tribe") was pretty favorable, so here's another raiding-themed myth I banged up. This one is just a straightforward "heortling raids the neighboring clan" story, not particularly earth-shaking, but I tried to express the cultural attitudes to the best of my ability. I'll also post (sometime soon) ideas about how to make this story into ritual magic--an "arming of Hindall" kind of thing, useful when you're going to go raiding, or when you're going to do any raiding-related heroquest.

As written, this is a story about a mortal acting in history, but with a very little bit of fiddling, it could take place in the Godtime, and could be about a god--perhaps about Finovan himself.

HINDALL'S RAID
(As recorded by Andrew Solovay)

Hindall looked at his fields. "I have rich pasture and I am a good herder," he said. "But I do not have enough cattle. When the Dark Men attacked, I fought as the warthane ordered me, and left my herds unguarded. The trolls plundered them, and I have lost much. If I do not increase my herd, the chief will take some of my pastures from me."

His shadowcat purred gravely. "I have walked the tula of the Leaping Frog Clan. They have more cattle than the land can feed. The cattle are thin and weak from hunger. The men do not guard their herds well. They dishonor Uralda with their inattention."

"Let us ride out at once!" said Hindall. "If they dishonor Uralda by
leaving herds unguarded, I can honor her and enrich myself by taking some cattle. On my pastures the cows will grow strong again."

"If you die raiding, your wife must raise your children alone," said
the cat. "She cannot command you, but you should seek her blessing."

Hindall went to his wife. "The roof is strong, the garden is tended, and I have seen to our needs. Our home can spare me for a brief time. I would raid the Leaping Frog lands, and make our children wealthier. I ask your blessing."

His wife said, "We do not live alone, but in a clan. If you are captured, our chief must ransom you. You should ask his blessing as well. If he blesses you, so will I." And she clothed him with the Three-Skin Cloak, to warm him when he slept in the woods.

Hindall went to his chief. "I have provided for my wife. I have always come when you mustered me, and I have tended our shrines. I would raid the Leaping Frog lands, and make our clan wealthier. I ask your blessing."

The chief said, "We do not live alone, but in a tribe. If you kill while raiding, a feud will begin and the king will have to make peace. You should ask his blessing as well. If he blesses you, so will I." And the chief mounted him on the horse Surefoot, to travel swiftly in the starlit night.

Hindall went to his king. "I have served wife, chief, king and god. I have done my duty to all. I would raid the Leaping Frog clan. I can tend the cattle better than they can, so the tribe will be wealthier, and Uralda better pleased with us."

The king said, "I am king over both clans. But Leaping Frog has neglected its duties, and your raid is lawful. Whether you succeed or fail, they will learn to watch their herds better." And the chief blessed him, and lent him Finovan's sword, which is named Searing Bolt.

Hindall rode that night to the tula of Leaping Frog. He reached their lands in the gray before dawn, and knew that he should not risk a raid in daylight. He made a nest for himself in a hollow, and slept.

He was awoken by his alynx's growls. Scouting, he saw that a broo in a nearby clearing had clubbed a wild boar unconscious, and was taking his foul pleasure with it. "If I fight it, I may be heard, and my raid will fail," said Hindall. "But if I stay here, the boar may sire a monster who might cause any manner of harm. I should not think of my herds when the Predark threatens." Hindall fought and killed the broo with Searing Bolt, and he cut the boar's throat. He buried the bodies with the proper ritual to keep the taint from spreading. He carved the runes of warning into a tree by the grave, so the earth priestesses would know there was work to do. He was not heard, and he returned to his hollow and slept.

That night, Hindall crept onto the tula. With his shadowcat he rounded up several fine cows. "I will guard you as your honor demands," Hindall said. "I will give you good pastures. No Leaping Frog blood is on my hands. Will you come with me?" And the cattle went with him.

As he left the tula, he found a boy of the Leaping Frog Clan who was keeping watch. Hindall struck through the boy's spear with the Searing Bolt, and held him helpless. "What shall I do with you?" asked Hindall. "Shall I release you?"

"I am pledged to guard my clan's herds," said the boy. "If you release
me, I will raise the alarm, and we will recapture our herds and hold you for ransom."

"Shall I kill you?" asked Hindall.

"My father will avenge my death, and there will be blood-feud between
our clans," said the boy.

"Shall I bind you and leave you here?" asked Hindall.

"Wolves roam these lands," said the boy. "Leave me here helpless, and
they will eat me and I will not be burned or buried. Orlanth will curse your lands and mine for this impiety."

"Then you will be my guest," said Hindall. "I will tie your hands and
take you to my tula. You may then go free with a gift, and be peace between our clans." And so he brought the boy safely to his home.

Learn, child. This is the Hindall who went on to found our own clan. This was a wise man and a good one. He knew that land is good, cattle are better, peace better still, and honor is best of all.