Re: Girls will be boys and boys will be girls

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 01:38:19 GMT

In message <40FF01E4.3030300_at_...> Bruce Ferrie writes:

>Very possibly so, on all counts. Indeed, this is pointed out in the
>Storm Tribe writeup. But the fact remains that the mythic/social
>institution is there, regardless of whether everyone likes it or not.
>
>I think it's exactly analogous to the fact that people think that
>Vingans are "odd". I find it interesting, though, that everyone (and I'm
>talking about players here, not Gloranthans) seems able to accept
>Vingans who act like men without batting an eyelid, but the converse -
>Nandani men who act like women - is seen as incredibly weird and
>mind-boggling. Something of a double-standard, no?
>
>I still remember the offensive comments that were made when Nandan came
>up on the Glorantha Digest a couple of years ago, and I wonder if we're
>seeing a less... vehement... manifestation of the same attitudes.
>
>I hesitate to use the word "homophobic", but given the negative reaction
>I got from my gaming group when I mused about the possibility of playing
>a Nandan worshipper, I do wonder.

Why is there an assumption that homosexuality is the primary focus of Nandan? No one makes that assumption about Vinga, indeed there's plenty of stuff published that indicates that Vingans are commonly hetrosexual.

Unless I was exploring Heortling sexuality in a game it's irrelevant, Nandan is socially female just as Vinga is socially male.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/